BUFFALO, N.Y. – More the 1.7 million people sustain a traumatic brain injury every year in the United States. The results can be life changing and more than 5.3 million people have long-term disabilities as a result of the injury.
A traumatic brain injury, or TBI, can happen any time a person bumps their head and comes in several forms:
- Mild TBI – accompanied with a short loss of consciousness or amnesia
- Concussion – a type of TBI that may or may not involve a loss of consciousness; a person can recover in a relatively short period of time but may suffer long-lasting effects.
- Post Concussion Syndrome – persistent concussive symptoms that can last beyond three weeks.
A Buffalo car accident lawyer at Cellino & Barnes says although brain injuries have been notoriously associated with sports, they are actually more common in car crashes.
“More than 275-thousand people are hospitalized with this injury every year,” Buffalo car accident lawyer Steve Barnes said. “Many more people ignore the symptoms after an accident and it can be dangerous because these injuries can often have serious side effects.”
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates more than a million Americans are treated and released from emergency rooms after suffering a TBI and the injury is so dangerous that it claims 52,000 lives each year.
- Nearly 500,000 children are admitted into ERs for TBI each year
- Adults over the age of 75 have the highest rates of hospitalization for TBI
- Men are two to three times more likely to suffer a TBI than women
- 85% of TBIs are classified as “minor”
- 10% are classified as “moderate”
- 5% are “severe”
According to CDC statistics, car accidents are the leading cause of TBI-related death and rates are highest among men between 20 and 24 years old but Buffalo car accident lawyers say anyone can suffer this debilitating injury.
“Between the medical costs and the lost wages, it’s estimated that Americans lost more than $60 billion because of traumatic brain injuries,” Barnes said. “It’s our job to help our clients recover as much of that lost income as they can.”
The Buffalo car accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes represent clients across Western New York, including Buffalo and Rochester. If you’ve been injured in a car accident, your injuries may have long-term effects. That’s why Cellino & Barnes offers free consulations.
Call a Buffalo car accident lawyer today to learn more about how Cellino & Barnes can help.