NEW YORK — Planning a little road trip for the Fourth of July weekend? You’re not alone. AAA expects to see 41.4 million Americans on the roads this weekend. That’s a record high since AAA began tracking holiday travel in 2000. When there’s increased traffic on the roads, New York car accident lawyers say there’s also more risk.
4th of July Traffic
No one likes being stuck in traffic – especially when you’re on vacation. Unfortunately, when 41.4 million other Americans are also on the roads at the same time, we can expect to see some traffic jams.
According to AAA, the absolute worst time to be on the roads will be Wednesday from 4:30 pm to around 6:30 pm. Thanks to a mix of holiday road trippers and commuters leaving work, New York streets and highways could get clogged, forcing delays.
All it takes is one accident to set-back everyone’s vacation time by an hour or more, the New York car accident attorneys at Cellino & Barnes said. The team of trial lawyers at the law firm put together these tips to help avoid an accident when you’re already rushing to get out of town:
- Have a Plan. Drivers who don’t know where they’re going, and aren’t familiar with the roads around them are more likely to get into an accident. Add extra holiday traffic to this problem, and you have a very dangerous situation.
- Give Yourself Ample Time. One of the biggest mistakes travelers make is not giving themselves enough downtime to actually enjoy their vacations. Be prepared to be stuck in traffic, and anticipate these delays instead of rushing to your destination.
- Keep Your Cool! When drivers are stuck in traffic, tempers can flare. Add the summer heat to the mixture, and you could be in the middle of a tense situation. Hopefully, you followed the first two steps, and you have nothing to get upset about!
- Avoid Distractions. According to our New York car accident lawyers, distractions are a top cause of accidents. In stop and go traffic, distractions can be downright dangerous. Always keep your eyes on the traffic around you!
- Never Drink and Drive. It’s the 4th of July, and many people love to celebrate with a beer or a glass of wine. Be responsible about it! There are more drunk driving accidents over the Independence Day weekend than any other holiday weekend. If you’re drinking, have a designated driver — or hail a taxi, Uber or Lyft to get you where you need to go.
- Slow Down! Speed is a top factor in many car accidents in New York. Speed limits have been carefully chosen by traffic experts to get people from point A to point B in a timely and safe manner. Trust the speed limits, and stick to them to have the safest trip possible.
Our best car accident lawyers in New York also warn drivers to pay attention to those around you: pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcyclists will also be sharing the road this weekend. Be courteous of them, and do everything possible to make sure the roads are safe for everyone.
4th of July Accidents
When more than 41 million Americans are on the road, accidents are bound to happen – even to the safest drivers. The experienced team of New York car accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes can help if you’ve been injured by a negligent motorist.
We’ve investigated thousands of car accidents across the nation, and our experience in these matters could help you maximize your compensation.
If you’ve been injured in a crash, contact Cellino & Barnes for a FREE case evaluation. We can have go over your case and help gather the evidence that will help you get the best result possible. Call us or contact us online to get started.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888