Jump to Content

Ask the Attorneys: Slip and Fall on City Sidewalk

/ Ask the Attorneys, Slip and Fall /

Q: I recently fell down and broke my elbow on a city sidewalk. The sidewalk was raised up at least five inches because it is old and is not in good repair. This is the street that I live on, and I know that the sidewalk has been like this for many years.  Can I make a claim against the city for not maintaining the sidewalk?

A: Most cities and other municipalities have enacted “prior written notice” ordinances. What this means is that before you can sue a city, you first have to prove that the city had received written notice of the defective sidewalk. Written notices of defective sidewalks, roads or other municipal properties are maintained by the city clerk.

In other words, unless someone notified the city of the defective sidewalk, and unless that notification was in writing, you will probably not have the right to be compensated by the city irrespective of the length of time that the sidewalk was in poor condition.

If you or a loved one has suffered from a slip and fall injury and don’t know what to do or if you still have a question that has not been answered, call us now at (800) 888-8888 or contact us.

Client Thanks

I would like to thank your firm for representing our family on behalf of my late husband. This whole process was, at times, difficult for us and sometimes painful. But, we were always in good hands as Brian and Maria are two of the hardest working and sincerest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They did a tremendous job.

Read more →

Recent Tweets

  • What causes slip and fall accidents? At Cellino & Barnes, we've seen it all -- here are some of the most common way…
  • Lots of things can happen on a ship. From illness to injury, it's important to be prepared:

Social Accounts


Office Locations

350 Main Street
2500 Main Place Twr

Buffalo, NY 14202

(716) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

Grider Street Office
451 Grider Street

Buffalo, NY 14215

(716) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

Garden City
600 Old County Rd
Suite 412

Garden City, NY 11530

(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

420 Lexington Ave
21st Floor

New York, NY 10170

(800) 888-8888
Maps & Directions

532 Broad Hollow Road
Melville, NY 11747

(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

16 W. Main Street
Powers Building, Suite 600

Rochester, NY 14614

(585) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions


Free Case Evaluation

Fields marked with a * are required
↑ Top