ROCHESTER, N.Y. – It happens every winter: as the snow piles-up on cars, negligent drivers take-off without brushing the snow off the roof. Their windshield may be clear, but these drivers are creating hazardous conditions for others using the roads.
Driving in winter weather is dangerous enough without having to dodge snow or ice falling off another person’s vehicle. According to State Police, several people suffered eye injuries last week when chunks of ice fell off one vehicle and smashed the windshield of another.
A Rochester truck accident attorney at Cellino & Barnes says drivers who don’t clear off their cars can even be considered a traffic violation in some states, and if it causes an accident, negligent drivers could be held responsible for any injuries.
“Many of us have been in that situation: stuck behind a vehicle with snow and ice flying off the roof in Rochester,” truck accident lawyer Ross Cellino said. “It’s downright dangerous and it has been known to cause serious accidents, but it’s really simple to avoid.”
Rochester truck accident lawyers suggest using common sense; and there are some tricks to help drivers get the snow and ice off their cars in a hurry:
- Use some de-icing spray on your windows before turning on your windshield wipers
- Have a broom or shovel handy to clear those hard-to-reach areas of your car’s roof
- Work from the top down. Start with the roof. Sometimes, it can dislodge ice over windows
- Park your car facing east. When the sun rises in the morning, it gives you a head-start
- NEVER use hot water to melt ice. You’re doing more harm – not only can this damage your car, hot water can also freeze faster in cold conditions!
These tips go for truck drivers too. In a recent poll, more than half (54%) of truckers reported they ‘rarely or never’ remove snow and ice from their trucks and trailers, AAA reported.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving a car or truck covered in snow and ice, you could receive significant compensation for your injuries. The Rochester truck accident attorneys at Cellino & Barnes have extensive experience handling these types of matters, and they’re focused on getting clients the best result possible.
For a free case evaluation, call Cellino & Barnes anytime – 24/7
Cellino & Barnes (800)888-8888