NEW YORK — Commercial trucks provide a much-needed service but simultaneously pose a significant risk to other drivers on the road. Legally, trucks that transport cargo can haul no more than 40 tons or 80,000 pounds of freight, rivaling some of the largest dinosaurs to have ever walked the earth. When the average sedan and a semi-truck bump heads, someone is bound to get hurt.
If you were recently injured in a truck accident, there are a lot of things going on. Things like going to the doctor to get treatment, and filing a police report are essential steps that must happen immediately after the crash; however, you might not know that some of the things you do could actually hurt your case.
Ways You Can Hurt Your Own Accident Case
Here are five things you should never do after a truck accident or any other collision:
- Apologize. You might be so startled after the accident that you apologize for hitting the truck, even though you might not have caused the crash. Your apology may be interpreted as an admission of negligence or guilt, which is why you should keep the sentiment to yourself.
- Speculate. You don’t do anyone any favors by trying to guess the cause of the accident. In fact, this could also cast you in a negative light and hurt your case. Leave the speculating to the professionals whose job it is to investigate the facts of the crash, such as the police officers and your attorney.
- Talk about the case without your lawyer present. Your lawyer is the only person you can trust to discuss matters pertaining to the accident. An insurance agent, for example, is only looking out for the interests of their company (and trying to avoid a big payout). Your lawyer is bound by an ethical oath to represent Your interests.
- Ignore Doctor’s orders. People who get hurt from car crashes tend to sustain injuries that are far more serious than car-on-car crash injuries. If you avoid seeking the care your doctor recommended after your accident, it can look like you aren’t really hurt and don’t need compensation, making it more challenging to gain compensation.
- Instagram your accident (or post to other social media). People who use social media while recovering have a much harder time getting a fair settlement. Why? What many people don’t realize is that insurance adjusters and defense lawyers on the other team anticipate that you’re going to post about your accident and gleefully snoop on your Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and any other social media account you may have for information that can hurt your case. The best way to avoid unwittingly turning over information that can rob you of a settlement is to avoid social media altogether at this time.
Do I Need a Lawyer after My Truck Accident?
You might also consider failing to talk to a Brooklyn truck accident attorney ill-advised. Attorneys with Cellino & Barnes can provide you with a realistic picture of what your accident case will look like, including an estimate of what you might receive if you pursue legal action. Without an attorney protecting your interests, you could lose a substantial amount of funds. You can be sure that the insurance company representing the trucking company involved in your accident has a team of lawyers ready to dismantle your case; don’t you deserve representation as well?
Call us for a free consultation or contact us online. We’re available at any time.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888