NEW YORK – More than 4,000 cyclists have been injured riding around the city in just the last year. That adds-up to about 12 people every day. Many of these victims were hit by a car while riding a bicycle in Brooklyn, and don’t know what to do.
The rules of the road can be complicated, and getting compensated for your injuries can be even more complex. That’s why Brooklyn bicycle accident lawyers say it’s important to follow these steps after any bike accident:
What To Do After A Bicycle Accident
Every bike accident has is unique, and deserves special attention. However, the steps you take after an accident should be the same. Whether you were injured on a Brooklyn street, or on a bike path, follow these steps immediately after an accident:
- Get Medical Attention. Your health is the top priority. Even if the accident was minor, it’s always good to have a doctor take a look because you could have a serious injury – even if you’re not experiencing much pain.
- Don’t Let Drivers Leave The Scene. If you’ve been hit by a vehicle, it’s common for drivers to stop and make sure you’re okay. If you seem fine to them, they may want to leave the accident scene. Even if you don’t have any symptoms of an injury, it’s not a good idea to let them leave without first getting their contact and insurance information, plate number(s), and a statement.
- Call Police. If you were hit by a car, a police report should be filed. If you’ve been seriously injured, make sure police will be at the accident scene to help get the information you need!
- Document the Accident. Take pictures, talk to witnesses, and write it all down! Be sure to include contact information for everyone you talk with.
- Contact a Bike Accident Lawyer. In most cases, those who try to handle claims on their own are severely shortchanged by the big insurance companies. Don’t let this happen to you! There are qualified bicycle accident lawyers in Brooklyn who can work with you to help you get the best result possible.
Hit By A Car While Riding A Bicycle In Brooklyn
A number of factors need to be analyzed after a bicycle accident in Brooklyn. Here are some of the most common factors our Brooklyn bike accident lawyers will investigate:
- Driver Error
- Unsafe Streets
- Illegal Parking/Blocking Bike Lanes
- Unlicensed Driver
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The driver was distracted
All of these can be serious hazards for bicyclists. If you want the best result possible, it’s important to fully investigate your claim. In many cases, injured cyclists didn’t even know the driver who hit them was distracted, or doing something illegal!
Doored While Riding A Bike In Brooklyn
If you’re an avid cyclist, you know how dangerous parked cars can be. “Getting doored” is a serious concern, and many bicyclists have stories about dooring accidents or close calls.
Sometimes, a driver or vehicle passenger will be quick to blame you for the accident. But, know that it wasn’t your fault. Everyone has a duty to pay attention to their surroundings and avoid an accident, if possible. Too many times, this duty is neglected. If you’ve been doored by a driver or passenger, follow the steps above and contact an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Brooklyn.
At Cellino & Barnes, our Brooklyn bike accident lawyers are passionate about the people we help, because we’re bicyclists ourselves! We understand the challenges cyclists across the New York Metro Area face on a daily basis, and we’ll do everything we can to make sure you get justice.
As proud supporters and members of the New York cycling community, we’re not only going to help you get compensation for your injuries; we’ll also do everything in our power to make sure your daily challenges are addressed. We know the city needs more protected bike lanes and laws that will help keep cyclists safe.
If you’ve been injured, we’ll put our best bicycle accident lawyers in Brooklyn on your case. Call us anytime – day or night – for a FREE consultation.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888