BUFFALO, N.Y. – Getting into a car accident can take anyone by surprise, and most people are unprepared for what happens next. According to car accident lawyers, Buffalo drivers should follow some basic steps after a car accident, including calling an attorney. The amount of time you have to find the right attorney is limited.
How Much Time Do I Have to Get a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
Many people are in complete shock after a car accident, which is why it helps to remember a few simple steps to take immediately afterward.
- Contact the police. An accident report must be filed to provide to your insurance company, which you should also contact as soon as you can.
- Seek medical treatment. If you are hurt, you are advised to receive an evaluation from a physician, even if your injuries appear to be minor. Worse trauma can come up in the days and weeks following the crash.
- Take photographs of the accident scene to prove the damage to your car, your injuries, and any other circumstances that led to the accident.
- Exchange contact information with the other parties involved in the accident. Be sure to exchange driver’s license info, insurance company info, and phone numbers. You should be able to contact the other drivers after your accident, if necessary.
- Call a car accident lawyer in Buffalo to recover just compensation. As a no-fault state, you must take a settlement from your insurance company in New York even if you were not at fault for the accident. However, the offer you get from your insurer may not be enough to cover all the costs of the damages. An attorney can help you pursue fair reimbursement.
How Long Should I Wait to Call a Car Accident Lawyer in Buffalo?
Most people aren’t sure when to search for a Buffalo car accident lawyer, and many don’t know if it’s necessary. Still, if you’ve been injured, it’s best to have a professional on your side to protect your interests.
One of the factors to take into consideration when thinking about calling an attorney is the statute of limitations. In New York, you have just three years from the date of the accident — not the date you discovered an injury — to pursue a lawsuit for damages. Although this might seem like more than enough time, taking legal action is a complex process that can take months to complete.
The most reasonable time to contact a personal injury attorney in Buffalo to represent you in a car accident case is as soon as you possibly can. Why? When you meet with a Buffalo accident lawyer, you’ll get to know all of your legal options. It’s also important to discuss the details of the accident with a lawyer while they are still fresh in your mind. So, the sooner you call an attorney, the more likely it is that you’ll get the best result possible.
At Cellino & Barnes, we help car accident victims recover just compensation for their injuries, including the cost of:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- And more
The sooner we can help you, the better your chances of receiving the compensation you need will be. Contact us for a free consultation in Buffalo.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888