ROCHESTER, N.Y. – A growing number of people are taking to bicycle riding in Rochester and across New York State. Cycling is growing on Western New Yorkers as healthy way to commute. Our best bike accident lawyers in Rochester have found that the more bike lanes our communities add to their bustling streets, the more people feel comfortable riding a bike around.
Although city planning improvements are making bike riding in Rochester safer, accidents can happen at any time. There are many actions riders can take to reduce the odds of becoming victims.
Safety Tips That Can Prevent Bike Accidents
There are several ways cyclists can become victims in a collision with a car or other vehicle. The following tips aim to mitigate the odds of that happening:
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Although your commute may feel boring, riding a bike while listening to loud music causes you to sacrifice one of your vital senses. A focused rider is more likely to ride defensively and anticipate accidents.
- Ride at a speed that is safe for the current conditions. Pay attention to the weather, road conditions, and volume of traffic when riding. You may have to reduce your speed to accommodate heavy traffic and maneuver roads safely.
- Respect pedestrians’ right-of-way. Many bike accidents take place between cyclists and pedestrians. In these cases, both the cyclist and pedestrian are likely to walk out with preventable injuries. Avoid a trip to the hospital by respecting the right of way of others around you
- Act cautiously around vehicles with large blind spots. When approaching a truck or bus, it’s important to keep in mind that these vehicles have larger blind spots than the average car, which increases the likelihood of a truck accident. Let them pass safely.
- Get off your bike when crossing the road with pedestrians. Drivers are generally liable for accidents in which the car hits a pedestrian or cyclist who walks his bike across the street.
- Always check your bike equipment before getting on the road. Be sure to check the air in your tires, your brakes, and lights if you plan to ride after dark. Wear reflective clothing and a proper helmet to reduce injuries in the event of an accident.
What to Do If An Accident Happens Anyway
If we could predict the future we’d all be millionaires. It’s impossible to know when you will be involved in an accident; however, there are plenty of resources available to you in the event of an accident that leaves you with severe injuries.
At Cellino & Barnes, our best bike accident lawyers in Rochester have years of experience resolving dozens of types of car accidents. Our lawyers will be happy to help you assess your accident case for FREE. It may be possible to recover significant compensation to take care of medical expenses, time missed from work, and more. Call us for a free consultation or reach out to us online.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888