BUFFALO, N.Y. – The majority of motorcycle accidents in the United States result in injury or death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 80% of all motorcycle crashes send at least one person to the hospital. So, it makes sense to put safety firsts and learn How To Prevent Motorcycle Accidents.
A motorcycle accident attorney in Buffalo says the odds are stacked against motorcycle riders. However, there are several useful tips you can follow to drastically improve your odds of getting to your destination safely.
How To Prevent Motorcycle Accidents
- Wear A Helmet. Serious head injuries are common in motorcycle accidents. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
- Be Aware. You just can’t trust other drivers. Always be aware of your surroundings, and communicate with other riders and drivers sharing the road with you.
- Stick to the Speed Limit. Speed kills. Simply riding above the speed limit increases the probability of a crash by nearly 50%.
- Be Seen. Motorcycles are the smallest motor vehicles on the road. They can easily be hidden in a larger vehicle’s blind spot. Other drivers can also lose sight of motorcyclists, and going unnoticed is not a good thing. Try to wear reflective clothing and bright colors, and always turn on your lights at night.
- Use Caution at Intersections. Half of all motorcycle accidents happen at intersections. Most of these are due to other motorists turning left, so communicate and use extra caution!
- Avoid Bad Weather. No one wants to take the chopper out in the middle of a rain storm. Not only will you get soaked, the risk of a crash also increases as water hits the pavement.
Almost all motorcycle accidents can be prevented. Unfortunately for bikers, they must also rely on other drivers to keep them safe. Even if you follow the tips above, there’s always a risk that you’ll be involved in an accident.
What To Do If I’m In A Motorcycle Crash
If you’ve been injured by another motorist, it’s important to act fast. Your health and safety should be the top priority. Unfortunately, medical bills, lost time at work and the countless other costs associated with motorcycle accidents can add up quickly.
The good news is, you could be compensated for most of these burdens. An experienced Buffalo motorcycle accident lawyer can help you get the best result possible by investigating your accident and filing a personal injury claim.
At Cellino & Barnes, our team of trial lawyers has helped thousands of New Yorkers recover over $2-billion in compensation after an accident. When you contact us, we’ll put our best Buffalo motorcycle accident attorneys on your case, because your case is just as important to us as it is to you and your family.
It’s not expensive to get the best either! Our team doesn’t get paid until the big insurance companies pay you what you rightfully deserve. Call us today for a FREE case evaluation.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888