ROCHESTER, N.Y. – There are countless questions accident victims have on their minds when they’re injured, but as the medical bills and lost time at work keep adding up, there’s one question everyone wants our Rochester car accident attorneys to answer: How Long Does It Take To Get A Settlement?
Like most questions our Rochester car accident lawyers hear, this can be tough to answer – especially if your case is in the early stages.
How Long Does It Take To Get A Settlement?
It’s nearly impossible to determine a time-frame for a personal injury settlement. Some cases settle in just a few months while other cases can take years, and even go trial. Although many injured accident victims are eager to close their case as quickly as possible, the Rochester car accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes have discovered that spending a little extra time on a case can make a huge difference.
Every case is unique, and the time it takes to get a settlement widely varies; but there are certain factors that typically need more time to properly address:
- Insurance Companies. Some insurers are just hard to work with. They’re all required by law to meet certain deadlines, but some insurance companies take their time to respond.
- Type of Injurie(s). In the early stages, doctors can’t tell how long it’s going to take for an injury to heal – and that’s important information! Other injuries may require years of expensive treatments, and more visits to the doctor’s office. Our Rochester car accident lawyers will use
- all of this information to help you get the best result possible from your claim.
- Civil Claims Process. Even if it’s a fair value, insurance companies often don’t accept the first settlement offer. This forces the injured party and their legal counsel to file a lawsuit, which involves a discovery period. While lawsuits sometimes end up in front of a jury, our Rochester car accident lawyers are always negotiating with the insurance company out-of-court during this time.
Generally, cases involving serious injuries take the most time to reach a settlement. Months or years may sound like a big timeframe, but our Rochester car accident lawyers urge their clients to consider the benefits of not settling too quickly:
- Taking Time Improves The Case Value. This often means more compensation for the accident victim(s) and/or their family.
- More Information. When it comes to personal injury cases, information is king. A quick settlement may sound nice, but it can often leave you in a bad position months or years down the road when your injury still hasn’t healed, and the medical bills keep coming in the mail.
- Promote Change. In some very unique cases, an accident can highlight major flaws in our government legal system, safety standards, and in our society. Settling these cases too quickly is like sweeping the dust under the rug – the problem is still there, and it’s bound to hurt someone else in the future.
If you have any questions about filing a personal injury claim, call our Rochester car accident lawyers for a FREE consultation. We’d be happy to take a look at your unique situation anytime – our Rochester accident and injury lawyers are available to help 24/7 to help accident victims get answers to their questions, and the best result possible from an injury claim.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888