NEW YORK – Slips and falls are responsible for 9-million visits to the E.R. every year in America. We all know how expensive hospital visits can be; and that’s just the tip of the ice berg. A Brooklyn slip and fall lawyer says in addition to your E.R. bill, victims of falls and slips may also need extended medical care, time off of work, and costly rehabilitation. Even if you get successful treatments for a fall injury in Brooklyn, your bank account could be hurting for years.
The bottom line is, what you do after tripping in a store is important – for both your health and your financial future. Here, we’ll go over some of the most common fall injuries in Brooklyn, and what should be done.
Most Common Fall Injuries In Brooklyn
Slips, trips, and falls happen to everyone. The hope is that these accidents are never serious, but too often that isn’t the case. Many of these injuries come with long-lasting aches, pains, and frustration:
- Head Injuries – according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), falls are the most common cause of concussions and other brain injuries. Once thought to be minor, doctors have developed a different view on concussions. They’re now treated as serious injuries because over time, minor brain damage can become a long-term problem for patients.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $100,000
- Injured Wrists – when a person trips, slips or falls, it’s just natural to use your hands to try to break your fall. Unfortunately, this often ends with hand and wrist injuries. In many cases, doctors can never fully correct these injuries and patients must live the rest of their lives with aches, pains or a decreased range of motion.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $15,000
- Back and Spinal Cord Injuries – of all the injuries that can happen as a result of a fall, back injuries are some of the costliest. A sudden impact can fracture vertebrae or cause herniated discs. Most of these injuries require surgery. In some cases, a severe injury to the spinal cord can result in temporary or permanent paralysis.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $300,000
- Ankle Injuries – We never realize how important our knees and ankles are until something bad happens to them. Broken bones can keep a person off their feet for months, and both joints have vital ligaments and muscles that can be torn or sprained after tripping and falling. When these joints are damaged, surgery may be unavoidable.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $15,500
- Hip Injuries – nearly all hip fractures stem from trips, slips, and falls. These injuries typically impact older adults and often require surgery. In addition, lengthy hospital stays and rehabilitation are common for those who’ve suffered a broken hip. In many cases, the patient may require an artificial implant to regain their range of motion.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $70,000
- Shoulder Injuries – those who have suffered a dislocated shoulder may tell you it’s one of the most painful experiences. Although shoulder dislocations don’t always require surgery, a brachial plexus injury could cause some serious issues. These injuries impact a network of nerves connecting the spinal cord to a person’s arms and hands. If you’ve suffered a brachial plexus injury, you’ll likely need surgery and physical therapy.
- Average Lifetime Treatment Cost: $7,000
What To Do After Tripping, Falling in Brooklyn
Whether you tripped on uneven pavement, slipped on a wet floor at a grocery store, or fell in your apartment building, those responsible should be held accountable. We understand how costly and destructive slips, trips, and falls can be. And we’ve helped thousands of New Yorkers get the best results possible from a slip and fall claim.
When you contact Cellino & Barnes, we’ll put our best personal injury lawyers in Brooklyn on your case. We’ll walk you through the legal process, and explain how we’re going to get the insurance companies to compensate you for your injuries. Call Cellino & Barnes any time — day or night — for a FREE case evaluation.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888