Rear End Accidents
Rear end Accidents are the most common type of accidents on the road today. There are approximately 2.5 million read-end collisions each year. These accidents usually occur as a result of a driver becoming distracted. This could be due to texting and driving, eating or drinking in the car, or even other drivers.
Many victims of rear-end collisions suffer what is known as soft-tissue injuries. Although insurance companies claim that victims of rear-end collisions do not suffer significant injuries, we know many suffer chronic and serious injuries. An example of a soft-tissue injury would be whiplash (hyperextension of the neck). Whiplash can appear days and even years after the incident and can be lifelong and very painful.
Soft tissue injuries that have not resolved may have an underlying cause. Your physician may refer you to have an MRI. An MRI will conclude if there is a more serious problem, such as a herniation or a bulging disc.
In most cases, a rear end accident has clear liability, meaning the party responsible for striking the back end of a vehicle is usually at fault. A driver has the responsibility to keep a proper lookout in front of them.
I was rear ended; what do I do now?
- Injured? – Call 911 and get immediate medical attention
- Contact the Police – a police report will be useful when filing a claim with the insurance company
- Take Notes – what happened in the moments leading up to the accident? What do you remember happening when you were hit?
- Take Pictures – make sure to get pictures of all damaged areas of your vehicle, and any other evidence available
- Gather Contact Information – You’ll want contact information for the other driver(s) involved, including name, phone number, address, insurance information, and license number
- Next Steps – These accidents often result in head, neck and spinal injuries. Even if you don’t experience any symptoms of an injury at first, they can develop over the next few days, weeks or even months. Call an experienced car accident lawyer to help you and make sure you get the best results possible moving forward.
Cellino & Bares has helped many clients obtain settlements for injuries caused in rear-end accidents.
If you or a loved one has been rear-ended and suffered a car accident injury, please contact a Cellino & Barnes car accident lawyer today at (800) 888-8888.