NEW YORK — People who ride motorcycles revel in the freedom it provides. Unfortunately, while motorcyclists do have as much right to use the roads as other motorists, drivers may wrongfully believe that their vehicles are more important. They may be reluctant or outright hostile to motorcyclists sharing the road and may drive in a way that is threatening to motorcyclists. Other drivers may not even notice motorcyclists, which can cause dangerous conditions.
Motorcyclists can sustain severe injuries as the result of other driver’s negligent or reckless driving behavior. If you’ve been hurt while riding your bike in New York, a Queens motorcycle accident lawyer can help you pursue damages and hold the at-fault party responsible.
Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents in New York City
Driver negligence is the #1 cause of motorcycle accidents in New York City, which is why motorcyclists must use extreme caution on the streets of New York. Other common causes of such accidents in the Big Apple are:
- Distracted Drivers: Drivers who don’t pay attention to the road are more likely to miss seeing motorcyclists around them. When a driver is eating, texting, talking on the phone, or even conversing with a passenger while operating a vehicle, their chances of causing an accident skyrocket. Distracted driving is negligent behavior.
- Drunk Drivers: Intoxicated drivers put everyone’s lives in grave danger; yet, when you consider the fact that even sober drivers have a hard time spotting motorcyclists, it’s not difficult to see why motorcyclists are at increased risk of being struck by a drunk driver.
- Tailgating: Impatient drivers who tailgate motorcyclists increase the potential for a serious rear-end crash should the motorcyclists need to suddenly step on his brakes.
- Speeding Drivers: The posted speed limit is a number that has been deemed a safe speed for the particular zone in optimal conditions. When drivers speed, they threaten the lives of anyone they might crash into because the worst effects of a car accident typically occur at high speeds. Motorcyclists who survive high-speed crashes usually sustain severe and life-threatening injuries.
- Red Light Runners: Motorists who run red lights or ignore stop signs fail to notice motorcyclists passing through the intersection.
Possible Damages after a Motorcycle Accident
With a determined injury accident lawyer on your side, it may be possible to pursue an array of damages for what you have endured due to another’s negligence. Attorneys with Cellino & Barnes provide aggressive legal representation to motorcycle accident victims in Queens. We have decades of experience investigating accidents and gathering all the right evidence to support claims.
Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Medical Expenses: All medical bills related to the accident should be covered by the at-fault party’s insurer, whether you need short term or lifelong care.
- Lost Wages: Your accident might keep you away from work for several days, weeks, or even months. A particularly severe accident may keep you from going back to the job you held altogether. You may be able to recover compensation for these lost wages and lost earning capacity.
- Pain and Suffering: Physical and emotional trauma can take a toll on your life. An attorney can calculate a reasonable amount of compensation for these non-economic losses.
- Loss of Consortium: If your accident was particularly severe, the effects may make it challenging to maintain a relationship with your spouse. You might be able to recover compensation for your loss of companionship if it was caused by the crash.
- Property Damage: Your bike may need to undergo extensive repairs or be replaced after a serious crash.
Queens Motorcycle Lawyers at Your Service
Selecting a dedicated law firm to support you after a car crash is a crucial part of winning your lawsuit. Attorneys with Cellino & Barnes have worked with motorcyclists throughout Queens for over 60 years. Our law firm will not take a fee unless we win your case. Find out how our team of Queens motorcycle lawyers can help you by submitting your case online or calling us for a free consultation.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888