NEW YORK — The fact that you survived being hit by a bus is nothing short of miraculous. Typically, people do not survive crashes with large commercial vehicles like buses and trucks. Although there are fewer buses on the road than cars, buses are 8 times more likely to be involved in a pedestrian fatality than passenger cars. Additionally, buses are more likely to hurt young children ages 0-14 and elderly people ages 85 or older.
If you have recently been struck by a bus, it is understandable that you may not know all the steps that are crucial to supporting your recovery. Taking the following measures can help you recover more comfortably and secure your financial future.
5 Steps to Take after a Pedestrian Bus Crash in The Bronx
- Seek medical attention urgently. If you have not done so, call for an ambulance or ask someone to call 911 so that you can get to a hospital. The odds that you have survived a bus crash without getting hurt are slim.
- Report your accident to police as soon as possible. Fill out an accident report quickly so you can remember the details of the accident while they are fresh in your mind. Be sure to request a copy of this report.
- Take pictures of the crash scene. Photos can help you prove liability. Be sure to include photos of your injuries and road and weather conditions.
- Gather information. Any witnesses that surrounded you when the bus struck you should provide their contact and insurance information. Their account of the accident will be important when you seek damages from the at-fault party. You will also need the driver’s information and credentials. Be sure to get driver’s license numbers, insurance information, and personal contact information as well as the name of the company that owns the bus.
- Contact a bus accident lawyer in the Bronx. An attorney can help you investigate the accident, preserve evidence, and hold the responsible parties accountable for your suffering. With the help of a lawyer, you may be able to collect monetary damages to pay off your medical bills, lost wages, and more.
At Cellino & Barnes, our bus accident lawyers have decades of experience resolving accident cases involving pedestrians. As a pedestrian, the chances are high that you have sustained severe injuries that will require extensive long-term care. These costs can quickly amount to tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Allow us to hold the responsible parties accountable for your injuries and seek the compensation you need to move on with your life.
We do not accept any method of payment until we win your case, meaning you have nothing to lose and possibly thousands of dollars to gain from working with one of our bus accident lawyers in the Bronx. Call us to learn more about resolving your accident or complete this form.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888