Jump to Content

What Should I Do if I Was Injured at Work?

/ Construction Accidents /

NEW YORK –  Millions of workers suffer injuries each year, particularly those who work in construction in New York City. These workers and their families often know they’re protected by worker’s compensation insurance. But what they don’t know is how complicated the process can be, leaving many people asking, What Should I Do If I Was Injured At Work?

According to a construction accident lawyer, New York workers need to take prompt action to safeguard the benefits they’re entitled to after an accident.

What Should I Do if I Was Injured at Work?

Report the Accident

The most important step to take after a slip and fall, a bump on the head, or another type of accident at work is to make your employer aware of the situation. You should immediately report your accident to a supervisor in writing. There is a narrow window of time in which you may report an accident to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Workers in New York must report a workplace accident within 30 days. Then, they have just two years to file a claim to receive workers’ compensation benefits. This is called the “statute of limitations.”

If you’re considering filing a workers’ compensation claim, contact the New York construction accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes for a FREE consultation.

See a Doctor

This is another extremely important step, as it documents your injury or illness. Whether it’s minor or severe pain you’re experiencing, you should seek medical care. Unless you require emergency treatment, you must see a health care provider authorized by the Workers’ Compensation Board.

Report Further Complications

If an accident causes a physical injury, you should report the injury to your employer as soon as possible. You have two years to do so, but this is not a long time when it comes to recovering from a physical injury. Your employer must file a workers’ compensation claim with their insurance company on your behalf. They won’t know to do this unless you tell them that you suffered an injury. An experienced New York construction accident attorney can help make sure your employer files the claim for workers’ compensation on time. You should also get a copy of the claim they file.

Speak with an Attorney

Workers’ compensation insurance providers may deny claims for any reason, or provide less compensation than what is needed. When your workers’ compensation claim doesn’t go just right, talk with the knowledgeable workers’ compensation lawyers at Cellino & Barnes.

Our New York accident attorneys can help you get the best result possible from your claim. We will evaluate any construction accident or workplace injury for free. Contact us to get started.

Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Client Thanks

I would like to thank your firm for representing our family on behalf of my late husband. This whole process was, at times, difficult for us and sometimes painful. But, we were always in good hands as Brian and Maria are two of the hardest working and sincerest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. They did a tremendous job.

Read more →

Recent Tweets

Social Accounts


Office Locations

350 Main Street
2500 Main Place Twr

Buffalo, NY 14202

(716) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

Grider Street Office
451 Grider Street

Buffalo, NY 14215

(716) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

Garden City
600 Old County Rd
Suite 412

Garden City, NY 11530

(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

420 Lexington Ave
21st Floor

New York, NY 10170

(800) 888-8888
Maps & Directions

532 Broad Hollow Road
Melville, NY 11747

(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions

16 W. Main Street
Powers Building, Suite 600

Rochester, NY 14614

(585) 888-8888
(800) 888-8888
Map & Directions


Free Case Evaluation

Fields marked with a * are required
↑ Top