ROCHESTER, N.Y. – School bus accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. In fact, there are hundreds of school bus accidents in the US each year. What Should I Do If My Child Was In A School Bus Accident? It’s a tough question every parent should ask themselves before school starts.
Although school buses are statistically safer than most vehicles on the road, they are some of the most serious accidents when they do happen. A Rochester bus accident lawyer explains step-by-step what parents should do when they’re notified their child has been involved in an accident.
Types of School Bus Accidents
When parents typically think of a “school bus accident,” they think of a collision. Although these do happen, it’s more common for children to be hurt in other types of “school bus accidents,” including:
- Falls entering or exiting the bus
- Tripping on-board the bus
- Slipping in the aisle (wet floors)
- Dragging (a child’s clothes or backpack caught on the bus as it drives away)
- Pedestrian or bicyclist hit by a bus
It always makes sense to gather as much information about a school bus accident as soon as possible. It’s also wise to do your own research; don’t rely on your child’s school to keep you informed because they could potentially be to blame for the accident.
What Should I Do If My Child Was In A School Bus Accident?
If your child has been involved in a school bus accident, it’s not always easy to find out what happened because you weren’t there. That’s why the following steps are crucial:
- Make sure your child gets immediate medical attention. Their well-being is ALWAYS top priority.
- Document Everything. Talk to your child as soon as possible to help them recall what happened. Talk to other parents too – and write everything down.
- Take photos. If you can’t take photos of the accident scene, at least take pictures of your child’s injuries. If your case has to go to trial, their injuries are likely to have healed by then, leaving you with no visual proof!
- Contact an experienced bus accident lawyer. There are strict deadlines that need to be met when you file a personal injury claim. An experienced bus accident attorney knows what to do, and when it needs to be done.
It’s natural if you don’t want to consider a lawsuit right away, but consider this: you can get a FREE consultation with an experienced Rochester bus accident attorney at Cellino & Barnes. If you have any questions about what to do after a school bus accident, our team of trial lawyers can help you get answers.
We understand this can be a stressful time, and we’re here to help alleviate as much of that stress as possible – for both you and your child. Contact us online or call Cellino & Barnes for a FREE case evaluation.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888