BUFFALO, N.Y. – Big truck accidents are on the rise. Since 2009, deadly truck crashes have increased nearly 30-percent, and thousands of innocent drivers and passengers are injured or killed by these large trucks each year.
No one ever wants to think about what to do if you’re hit by a tractor-trailer, but many heartbroken families have asked us this question after a loved one was hurt, often seriously, in a truck crash.
If you or a family member has been in an accident with an 18-wheeler, the New York truck accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes recommend taking the following four actions:
What To Do If You’re Hit By A Tractor Trailer
- Get Medical Attention. In any type of crash, your health and well-being are paramount. If anyone else was injured, get them medical attention as soon as possible. Studies have found that immediate medical attention can save lives and reduce the long-term severity of an injury.
- Take Pictures & Find Witnesses. If you did not require medical attention, immediately start taking pictures and getting information from witnesses and other drivers/passengers involved in the wreck. If you’re physically unable to gather this information, call a family member or friend to do this for you. It will also be helpful to take photos of your original injuries.
- Gather Information. Aside from obtaining the other drivers’ insurance information and a police report from the responding law enforcement agency, there are several other questions you’ll want to be answered after a truck accident that could be useful later on:
- What company does the truck driver work for?
- What cargo was the truck carrying (if any)?
- Where was the truck going?
- How many hours has the truck driver been on the road today? How many total hours this week?
- Call A Truck Accident Attorney. Even before calling your insurance company, contact an experienced New York truck accident lawyer at Cellino & Barnes. The insurance companies may try to settle with you, even before a claim is filed – and it’s usually much less than what your claim will be worth. Our legal team is in your corner, and we’ll make sure you get the best result possible from an injury claim.
Insurance companies know that they can save money by offering you less compensation. They also know that when a victim is represented by an experienced truck accident lawyer, the value of the case goes up, 4x on average.
Getting into a truck accident is stressful enough – don’t let the insurance companies add to your stress. Call an experienced New York truck accident attorney at Cellino & Barnes, and let us fight the insurance company for you.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888