ROCHESTER, N.Y. – After a car accident, your head is swimming with ideas of what you need to do next, especially if you or one of the passengers in your car were hurt. Many victims of car crashes ask themselves, When Should I Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident? Our Rochester car accident lawyers know that these situations occur without warning. Ultimately, you’ll likely
want need to contact a lawyer if you’ve been injured, but when?
When Should I Call a Lawyer After a Car Accident?
Contacting an experienced car accident lawyer should be a high priority if any of the following apply to your situation:
- The crash caused a significant injury (broken bones, paralysis, TBI)
- The crash caused a fatality
- The crash involved other drivers, pedestrians, or cyclists
- The crash occurred in a construction or school zone
- The police or accident report does not accurately describe the collision
- You have concerns about your insurance status, liability limits, or lack of insurance
- Your insurance company is not willing to cooperate with you
Even if none of these situations apply, it’s still worth calling a Rochester car accident lawyer at Cellino & Barnes. Their legal team will go over your case for FREE, and help you determine the right course of action.
New York is a no-fault state, meaning that if you were harmed during an auto accident, you must file a claim with your own insurance company first; however, that does not prevent you from seeking full compensation by filing a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy.
Steps to Take Before Getting a Lawyer Involved
Knowing what steps to take immediately after an accident can help you out, whether you decide to hire an attorney or not. Immediately after a crash, there is vital information you can gather, which can drastically improve the value of an injury claim:
- Gather witness information. Ask anyone around you at the time of the accident for their names and phone numbers so that you may contact them at a later date. If you wait to hire an attorney, it may be impossible to track witnesses down.
- Take photos of the damage. Make sure to get photos of damage to your car and your person (injuries sustained).
- Seek medical attention. If you have suffered any injuries, it’s important to receive prompt medical care. A doctor should be able to identify your injuries. Keep all records of all doctor visits that take place after the crash.
- Order the police report. If a police report exists, call the police station and ask them for help ordering it. There may be a small fee to pay to make a copy of it, but it’s a crucial component of an attorney’s investigation.
After you have been treated for your injuries, don’t hesitate to contact the resourceful Rochester car accident lawyers at Cellino & Barnes. We’re available to help you through the complex claims process every day of the week. Contact us to get started with a FREE case review.
Cellino & Barnes (800) 888-8888